- October 7 — Construction began on the new wing ($1,200,000) containing living quarters, classrooms, a children’s library, an infirmary and clinical areas, a circular chapel of St. Vincent de Paul, built in memory of Vincent Astor and a research wing.
- May 22, 1963 saw the dedication of these new facilities and a reunion of staff and children in honor of the 10th anniversary. Emotionally disturbed girls, ages 6-9, were admitted to the Program for the first time.
- Astor’s 10-Year Research Study was published in conjunction with the anniversary and released the results of an exhaustive one-year research project on the present whereabouts and status of 130 seriously disturbed young boys discharged from care within the past ten years, the first complete follow-up study ever compiled by a residential treatment center for children.
- Also, the year saw the initiation of the program for training in child psychiatry, the opening of the New York City Office for expanded services for families of children in treatment, as well as for aftercare, and the approval of the American Psychological Association for the training program in clinical psychology.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) awarded grants for internship in clinical psychology and residency in child psychiatry. The first of six Group Homes, Serena Group Home for Boys, opened on September 1, 1964 to provide supervised therapeutic living within the community.
- September 1 – The Seton Group Home for Girls opened in the Bronx.
- In November/December, 1965, an Advisory Board composed of members from various fields was established in Dutchess County.
- April 1 – At the request of local and government officials, The Astor Home for Children opened its first Child Guidance Clinic in Rhinebeck providing outpatient clinical services to children, up to age 18, and their families.
- November – Seton Group Home for Girls closed.
- 15th Anniversary of The Astor Home for Children.
- On February 24, 1968 the Seton Group Home for Boys reopened. On July 22, 1968, the Spellman Group Home for Girls opened in Staatsburg.
- March 3 – The second Astor Child Guidance Clinic opened in Poughkeepsie.
- The Child Psychiatry Training Program closed in 1969.