Day Treatment (DT) is a highly structured, school-based treatment program that provides mental health and educational services to children in grades K-8, and those obtaining their high school equivalency with serious emotional and behavioral issues. DT is provided in collaboration with Astor Services for Children & Families and local school districts. The DT interdisciplinary team of trained professionals provides a nurturing and supportive environment for children who have difficulty learning in a regular day-to-day school setting. The average length of program stay is between 18 months – 24 months.
Day Treatment students:
- Learn in classrooms of 8 students with 1 teacher and 1 teaching assistant supported by the clinical team of psychiatrist, and crisis workers
- Develop the age-appropriate social, emotional and learning skills to improve their academic standing, in order to return to their home school districts
- Day Treatment provides an academic education individualized to the learning and behavioral needs of each child through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- Children are grouped both by age and level of academic functioning
- Individual and group therapy once a week during the school day
- Psychiatric consultation services are available 2 days a week
- Peer mediation and crisis prevention through early intervention are available all-day
All children admitted have behavioral and emotional problems that seriously interfere with school, home, and community adjustments. Family members refer children for assessment. The NYC DOE Committee of Special Education (CSE) reviews and approves all admissions.
Please contact Theresa Venticinque, LCSW at (347) 949-0268
Theresa Venticinque, LCSW
Tel: (347) 949-0268
Email: Please use our Program Contact Form »
Program brochure (PDF file)
Folleto del programa (archivo PDF)
Learn about Astor's other Bronx Community-based programs:
- Care Management
Ensures appropriate access and service management via care coordination and service integration.
- Counseling Centers
Provides counseling, psychiatric services and case management to children and adolescents, and their families.
- Day Treatment
A school-based intensive treatment program that integrates mental health and special education services for students grades K — 8.
- High Fidelity Wraparound
Evidence-based care coordination that uses a highly structured, team-based, family-centered approach.
- Lawrence F. Hickey Center for Child Development (Little Red School House)
Special education therapeutic preschool
- Prevention Services
Time-limited, evidence-based model that utilizes a home-based approach to address both the concrete and clinical needs of the child and the family.
- Residential Programs
The Residential Treatment program is a therapeutic out-of-home placement serving children aged 5–13 who have emotional challenges that exceed community-based interventions. The program is located in Rhinebeck, NY, and accepts children from all counties of New York State.
Residential Treatment Center
Residential Treatment Facility
- School-Based Behavioral Health Treatment (SBBHT)
Services provided to schools in New York City.
- Serving Youth iN Their Communities (SYNC)
Through supportive skill-building and clinical services, SYNC helps to build a strong foundation so that youth and families can be active and productive members of their communities
Provides services to school-aged youths, 4-18 years old, who exhibit behavioral difficulties in order to promote academic stability and successful promotion to the next grade level.