Therapeutic Foster Boarding Home (TFBH) is an enhanced foster care program that offers specialized training and ongoing support to foster families and the children placed in their care. Youth selected for TFBH’s therapeutic homes may be at risk of out of home placement in settings such as residential facilities or detention centers or need support returning to the community from these settings. The program recruits, screens, trains foster parents and provides ongoing support while the child is in their care. Foster parents receive several weeks of intensive foster parent training to ensure they have the skills and tools to support children in the home.
• Case management
• Individual & family therapy
• 24-hour crisis intervention & support
• Psychiatric evaluation & treatment
• Regular home visits
• On-staff nurse for managing medication & medical emergencies
• Treatment that works to create permanency for the youth, including return to biological family, adoption, or independent living resources
All youth must be:
• Under 21 years of age
• In the custody of a County Department of Social Services (DSS) agency Please note that while homes are primarily located in Orange, Dutchess, and Ulster Counties, referrals are accepted from any DSS agency.
• Research indicates therapeutic foster care can reduce youth violence by 70%.
• The financial savings to the community can be as much as $14 in court and corrections systems costs for each $1 spent in therapeutic foster care.*
• Also, the number of crimes committed by youth and incarceration rates dropped by 57% when compared to youth in standard residential care.*
The Residential Treatment Program is a therapeutic out-of-home placement serving children aged 5–13 who have emotional challenges that exceed community-based interventions. The program is located in Rhinebeck, NY, and accepts children from all counties of New York State. Residential Treatment Center Residential Treatment Facility